Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How is your space organized?

As crafters and creators, we LOVE our spaces (if we’re lucky enough to have them!).  They are a haven for creativity, a delightful sometimes magical land to space1 spend a few hours in.  They can also become pits of disastrous carnage where we can never find the ribbon we bought last week, or that yard of fabric we SWORE we had a month ago.  It’s also someplace we want to display our aesthetic; a beautiful environment is inspiring and invigorating!

Mine is a little corner on the landing of the second floor in our townhome.  There are some simply excellent cabinets that were installed during the construction of the house, and they have been a huge lifesaver.  While they are permanent and can’t be rearranged, they do provide me with a VERY solid work surface, and a little extra storage!  There’s a perfect place for Sophie (the dressform!) next to the hallway, and a large hall closet opposite the cabinets.  Thankfully, there are also plenty of electrical outlets for my multiple sewing machines, glue guns, irons, and the occasional laptop.space2

The most recent thing I did was install these floating shelves (I LOVE floating shelves.  I have them everywhere.  One of them is my bedside table.  There are two in the kitchen.  I don’t know how I lived without them before), and on top of them installed a collection of kitschy kontainers.   I mean containers.  They provide the service of keeping all the little bits and bobs I use for sewing and beading and general crafting organized.  They’re also labeled with my little copper punched tags – that’s right, the same ones I use for the wordspell signature line!

I occasionally covet the master-designed, many-drawered crafting rooms seen on other blogs and on HGTV.  Some of them are professional, some of them are DiY, but all are images of majesty that I hope to achieve some day.  Here are some of my favorites:

image
Organized Craft Room Ideas: HGTV. I love this room because it’s calm, uncluttered, and looks like it could serve as an office or something OTHER than a craft room.  I am all about multitasking.

image

Inspirational Craft Rooms: Apartment Therapy.  I mean seriously, where else are you going to go?  Cubbies, hello!

What’s your craft space like?

No comments:

Post a Comment