Monday, December 6, 2010

NOMday Holiday Edition!

One of my absolute favorite things about the holidays is the FOOD.  I have a wealth of delightful memories of huge family gatherings (I have six and seven aunts and uncles on BOTH sides of my family… I don’t even have a count of my cousins anymore!) filled with games, gift exchanges, and wonderful foods.

Egg nog is one of my favorite holiday treats.  I’m partial to my mother’s recipe, which to me is smoother and lighter than the store bought version.  It’s also SUPER EASY to make, with just 5 ingredients (plus some nutmeg!).image

Holiday Egg Nog

2/3 cup of sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
8 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
nutmeg to taste

Separate the egg whites and yolks and set whites aside in the refrigerator.  Mix the egg yolks, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a large pan until smooth.  Add milk to yolk mixture slowly, stirring or whisking constantly.  Heat slowly!  Once heated, set aside to cool.  Make meringue with egg whites and 6 tablespoons of sugar, if desired.  Serve with a dollop of meringue and a sprinkle of nutmeg!  WARNING: the meringue is made with raw egg whites, prepare at your own risk!

I remember with delight how my mother used to set the pan of egg nog outside in the snow to cool, when there was no room in the refrigerator.  How wonderful it was to poke my head out into the cool winter night to bring the cool pan back inside and then enjoy the cold egg nog!

What’s your favorite holiday treat?

Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment