Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cool EL Wire projects

I saw the new Tron: Legacy movie this weekend and LOVED IT!  I may need a Tron costume in the future… but in the meantime, I went looking for cool EL wire projects.  EL wire, short for electroluminescent wire, is a copper wire coated with phosphor that produces a 360 degree unbroken line of visible light (rather than points of light such as in a LED rope light).  It’s a neat product that’s accessible for a lot of projects, including a costume I created, Juliet here.  I used EL wire in the hem of the dress and in the swirly hat (as well as some fiber optics added to my wig!). 

image

There are a lot of costumes out there that use EL wire – particularly the Tron costumes, but I wanted to take a look at what other projects were out there!  Take a look as some of these amazing artworks and craft projects!

image

Loving this glowing jellyfish, created by Jason Eppink.  I can totally see this reproduced for a lighting feature – it’s gorgeous!

image

Fantastic EL wire spider web by rogueg at Instructables!  It’s delicate and still really functional as a light feature… or even just as a work of art by itself.

image

Okay, so I’m not totally over the Tron thing yet… Here’s an awesome and easy mod for a bag from Lady Ada!

What’s your favorite use for EL wire?

No comments:

Post a Comment