Sunday, May 1, 2011

Historical Days

“I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.” - Mark Twain

As I said on my facebook status, this is awesome, truly, but in all honesty I think I've had just about enough historical moments for being only 30. I would be more than happy to exist through the next twenty years without any more life-changing events.

Like a lot of others, it’s not in my nature to celebrate death and destruction in any form, but this is a matter of closure for literally hundreds of thousands – if not millions – of people.  It is a triumph shrouded in a decade of tragedy, waste, and loss.  There is almost a frenzy, a fervor of celebration in response to ages of pain, and who can blame those who celebrate.  It is a breathtaking moment in time, caught up between grief and triumph.

It is not the end, of course, but it is an end.  It is an interesting marker as I have finished my student teaching: I will likely have students who have never known a world without terrorism, without Osama bin Laden in the forefront when I begin teaching this fall.  Ten years of mystery, ended in a moment.

Read about the death of Osama bin Laden at MSNBC.

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment