Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review: Heroes of Cosplay, Episode One

(As compiled from several Facebook posts and subsequently edited to make more sense and follow some kind of grammatical logic.  Hurhur.)

I love it. I love the vast variation of skills and experience and perceptions and behaviors. All the feelings, all the experiences, all the perceptions, it was all so VALID. It honestly reminded me of my earlier days in cosplay, when competing was a priority for me.

No, it wasn't all pretty. Anyone who's cosplayed for any amount of time KNOWS it's not always pretty. No, I wouldn't have made the choices that others would have made, but that's why it's so awesome - it's another perspective! And each one of them is valid. The joy of success. The tragedy of disappointment. Priorities and perspective are totally different for each person.  That's real.  Some of it was hard to watch because I KNOW THOSE FEELS.

ba0925c030
My first costume, Super Sailormoon from Sailormoon, made in 1998 (Photo from NDK 1999).  I had on two wigs. For realies.

I swear I've been every one of the competitors shown over the last 15 years that I have been cosplaying. I felt like I got gypped, I felt like a performer, I felt successful, I felt like I swept, I felt like I had a rockin' good time and that was all I cared about. All of those things. All of them.

And I've been the bitch. And I've been the one hurt by the bitch (or bastard, as it were). I've been the grown-up princess with the little girl who loved me for who SHE thought I was. I'VE been the little girl meeting a princess I love. I've been incomplete, overdrawn, stressed, blissful, grateful, exhilarated. I think HoC portrayed that perfectly, honestly.

And on top of that, there were any numbers of really amazing tips and tricks - costuming at a professional level!  Automotive paint, head moulds, embroidery machines.  So much to learn and try.

rosa-ds01
Rosa of Final Fantasy IV (DS) done in 2008 for Dragon*Con.

It was inspiring. I want to go up to my studio and work. I want the back yard to be done so I can convert the garage into a shop. I want to compete again. I want to be on stage. Yaya Han & company, you should be proud. I am.  I am proud to be a part of this beautiful, fun, dysfunctional, nutty and nerdy community.  I love it.  All of it.

Also love DJ Spider's take, and I can't agree more.  Read it here!

Watch the show Mondays on SyFy.

No comments:

Post a Comment